Project Director – Media and Civic Participation for Transparency and Accountability
Location: Bishkek, Kyrgyz Republic
Closing Date: 18 March 2015
About Internews Europe
Internews Europe is an international development organisation specialising in supporting independent media, freedom of information and free expression around the globe. The vast majority of our programmes are targeted at crisis-hit populations, emerging democracies and some of the world’s poorest countries.
Background to the Project
Internews Europe has designed the “Media and Civic Participation for Transparency and Accountability” project to strengthen anti-corruption initiatives by media professionals and civil society to support inclusive, transparent and accountable governance within Kyrgyzstan. The project’s primary goal is to work with the media and civil society organisations to mobilise citizens around pressing issues on transparency and accountability as well as improving the media coverage of Rule of Law issues.
This is an 18 month project funded by the European Commission. The project is due to start 1st April 2015.
Scope of Work
The Project Director will develop, manage (programmatically and financially) and coordinate all Internews Europe’s activities in Kyrgyzstan under the project “Media and Civic Participation for Transparency and Accountability”. S/he will play a vital role in leading and managing the implementation of this project in Kyrgyzstan, overseeing project staff and representing the project to all stakeholders. Specifically, the Project Director will:
- Provide general oversight of the project. This includes overall responsibility for the programme management, strategic vision, financial management, fiscal integrity, quality and timing of deliverables, and management of relationships and capacity building of partners;
- Ensure that all project deliverables are completed according to agreed timelines and budgets, including robust monitoring and evaluation;
- Recruit and manage other project staff, including Project Manager, Project Accountant, Trainers and Media & Rule of Law Expert;
- Provide synergies with other Internews projects in Kyrgyzstan;
- Manage risk and security during the implementation of the programme, including the development of contingency plans;
- Ensure the programme complies with donor regulations, laws, and Internews Europe’s policies, including local laws and requirements for local staff;
- Ensure regular and timely reporting and review of project progress to managers in keeping with Internews Europe’s internal requirements;
- Ensure effective and timely reporting to the donor;
- Produce regular multimedia materials (i.e. blog posts, photos, podcast…) documenting the life of the project for external audiences, as required;
- Other duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each necessary duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential task.
- At least five years of relevant international project management experience in Central Asia or within the Commonwealth of Independent States (CIS);
- Experience of managing media development projects focused on corruption and Rule of Law, preferably with the responsibility for medium to long term programme implementation;
- Experience of managing EC-funded projects;
- Excellent spoken and written Russian;
- Fluency in spoken and written English;
- Experience of capacity building for professional media associations and media outlets, and civil society organisations;
- Experience with development and implementation of M&E;
- Experience working with government, non-government stakeholders etc. on media issues;
- Relevant university degree or other relevant educational background;
- Excellent communication and reporting skills.
- Spoken and written Kyrgyz;
- Experience in fundraising;
- Experience of managing projects with co-financing requirements;
- Experience developing online platforms for citizen engagement.
How to apply
Please follow this link.