Seeks the Project Accountant (full-time position) for Media and Civic Participation for Transparency and Accountability project in Kyrgyzstan
Location: Bishkek, Kyrgyz Republic
Closing Date: 8 July 2015
Internews is an international development organization specializing in supporting independent media, freedom of information and free expression around the globe. The vast majority of our programmes are targeted at crisis-hit populations, emerging democracies and some of the world’s poorest countries.
Background to the Project
IEU has designed the “Media and Civic Participation for Transparency and Accountability” project to strengthen anti-corruption initiatives by media professionals and civil society to support inclusive, transparent and accountable governance within Kyrgyzstan. The project’s primary goal is to work with the media and civil society organizations to mobilize citizens around pressing issues on transparency and accountability as well as improving the media coverage of Rule of Law issues.
This is a 24-month project funded by the European Commission and it has recently started.
Scope of Work
The Project Accountant will be responsible for day-to-day management of the project-related financial transactions and will ensure all the financial management tasks related to the project “Media and Civic Participation for Transparency and Accountability” are attended to in timely manner. The Project Accountant will work under supervision of the Finance Manager (FM) and will report to FM. This role will provide support to the Internews Kyrgyzstan Finance Manager in all aspects of the financial operations for the project and will require comprehensive working knowledge of Internews financial systems. Specifically, the Accountant will:
- prepare monthly financial reports for IEU HQ;
- maintain cash and bank transactions;
- account office transactions in HQ accounting systems (bank, cash, advances, accruals, payrolls, and other expenditures);
- prepare monthly, annual programme financial reports to IEU HQ, and local government organizations;
- prepare payrolls, calculate taxes and submit tax reports to tax, pension and social security authorities;
- prepare vouchers, agreements, receipts and other supporting documents for each transaction;
- collect and review vacation requests, timesheets and expense reports for staff; and
- carry out current daily work in accordance with accounting rules and tax legislation of Kyrgyzstan, implement all operation by means of special accounting programme.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each necessary duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential task.
- Higher education in accounting, finance and/or economics.
- Knowledge and experience in working with 1C accounting software and QuickBooks.
- Experience of accounting job in a not-for-profit international organization.
- Knowledge of regulations, instructions and other normative documents on accounting and cash operations.
- Knowledge of English and Russian. Knowledge of Kyrgyz is an asset.
TO APPLY: Please submit the following documents in English via email email@example.com with “Project Accountant” in the subject line:
- Cover letter.
- Two letters of recommendations.
Applications will be reviewed as received and IEU reserves for itself the right to stop the recruitment process as long as an appropriate candidacy is identified. Deadline to submit applications is July 8, 2015.