Kyrgyzstan: Country Director
Location: Bishkek, Kyrgyz Republic
Closing date: 27 May 2016
Internews is seeking a Country Director to oversee a diverse portfolio of media and civil society development programs in Kyrgyzstan and manage our field office in Bishkek. The Country Director will be hired on a full-time basis and will be based in Bishkek. S/he will be responsible for supervising the design, implementation, and evaluation of Internews’ work in Kyrgyzstan.
- Provide strategic leadership, management, representational and operational oversight for Internews’ work in Kyrgyzstan;
- Ensure compliance of Internews’ work in Kyrgyzstan with local laws, Internews’ internal policies, and donor regulations;
- Design new programming and recommend program adjustments to maximize impact and respond to evolving opportunities and challenges;
- Track and regularly report on project progress to donors and Internews HQ, including supervising the preparation and quality control of quarterly narrative and financial reports, monthly updates, and regular informational and promotional materials;
- Oversee program monitoring and evaluation to ensure effective implementation and to measure the impact of activities;
- Cultivate and strengthen relationships with local media outlets, civil society organizations, and government officials and ensure that Internews’ work is responsive to the needs of partners and beneficiaries;
- Help design and lead assessments, trainings, and consultations for national and regional media companies, media support organizations, and other civil society actors, involving regular in-country and occasional international travel;
- Manage Internews’ field office, staff, and operations in Bishkek, including hiring and training local staff; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance;
- Coordinate closely with Internews’ other offices in Central Asia, local and international NGOs implementing similar and/or related projects, and donors;
- Develop and maintain a thorough knowledge of the independent media sector in Kyrgyzstan and the broader region, as well as the political and economic environment in which they operate;
- Understanding of and demonstrated commitment to upholding Internews’ Core Values
- Additional duties as assigned.
- At least five years of progressively responsible experience in media development.
- Previous experience as a proactive program manager with a strong reputation for developing excellent collaborative working relationships with counterparts, local and international organizations and donors.
- Long-term, overseas media development experience preferably in the Eurasia region, working experience and knowledge of Central Asia is essential.
- A successful track record in supervising, managing and implementing technical assistance for donor-funded media projects and proven ability to develop and monitor work plans, training plans, and procurement plans.
- Experience as a manager or trainer with professional capacity-building programs for journalists and media outlets, strong knowledge of new media preferred.
- Demonstrated mentoring abilities and experience supporting staff.
- Experience managing US- and EU-funded projects is strongly preferred.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- English and Russian fluency required, local language skills are highly desirable.
- National candidates from Kyrgyzstan are encouraged to apply.