Position: Regional Editor
Location: Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan or Almaty, Kazakhstan
Project: Media for Improved Reporting on Environmental and Natural Resources in Central Asia
Accountable to: Project Director
Contract: 14 months fixed term at 100% LOE
Benefits: 1500-2000 EUR per month depending on experience at 100% LOE
Internews is an international media development organisation whose mission is to empower local media worldwide to give people the news and information they need, the ability to connect, and the means to make their voices heard.
We envision a future where everyone, everywhere, enjoys equal access to trusted, quality information that empowers them to live healthy, secure, rewarding lives.
The Regional Editor will oversee the production and publication of all web content and projects related to the project’s online platform. This will include overseeing the country content managers, reviewing all articles and photographs for accuracy and potential libel or slander, approving layouts and design, deciding on which stories and photos get published, generating ideas for using new technology and implementing ways to increase readership and utilize new multimedia data and mapping tools.
Main responsibilities include the following:
- Manage production of regional multimedia content for the project’s online platform: select topics, organize video/photo production in regions, edit texts and control video/photo editing.
- Monitor information flow in the region;
- Monitor information and publications on partners websites;
- Coordinate content exchange among country partners;
- Coordinate regional multimedia web projects for the platform;
- Track and report on all site metrics (e.g., Google Analytics, Yandex Metrics)
- Participate in production of actual interviews and provide consulting support for the project’s team
- Promote information about the website to target audience through social networking websites
- Report technical problems to IT support staff
- Assist in other responsibilities\activities that are due to the smooth implementation of the “Media for Improved Reporting on Environmental and Natural Resources in Central Asia” Project
5-10 years of experience in a similar role/role with direct relevance to the Regional Editor role
Experience of producing high quality materials for online media platforms
Experience of managing content editors
Experience of delivering project objectives
Fluency in written and spoken Russian, knowing local languages (Kazakh, Tajik or Kyrgyz) are highly valued.
Ability to work well under pressure
Initiative and creativity in solving problems
Ability to create good working relations with colleagues, partners and donors
Knowledge of the current media environment in Central Asia Region
Interest and understanding of environmental issues in the region
How to apply
Please send a CV (maximum 2 pages) and Cover Letter (maximum 1 page) to firstname.lastname@example.org by 9am on Monday 18th April 2016. Please describe why you are interested in the role and how your skills and experience are relevant to the position.